Findings from a large study of Laithwaite’s sales data have revealed the Top 10 Grape Varieties across the UK. These appeared in the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and Good Housekeeping, among other titles, sparking conversations online.
We have been overwhelmed by the response, so our experts have put together a list of ten great wines, that we feel exemplify each of the top grape varieties – and they’re all currently on offer at laithwaites.co.uk:
1. Sauvignon Blanc Shingle Peak 2014, Marlborough NZ
2. Chardonnay Collovray and Terrier 2013
3. Merlot Vina Tarapaca Merlot 2013, Chile
4. Cabernet Sauvignon Cleanskin Cabernet Sauvignon 2011, Coonawarra, Australia
5. Shiraz The Black Chook Shiraz 2014, McLaren Vale and Padthaway, Australia
6. Grenache Le XV du President 2013, Cotes Catalanes, France
7. Pinot Noir Mission Estate Greenmeadows Pinot Noir 2013, Martinborough NZ
8. Tempranillo Baron de Barbon Reserva 2008, Rioja, Spain
9. Pinot Grigio Ca Vescovo Pinot Grigio 2013, Venezie, Italy
10. Malbec Opi Malbec 2014, Mendoza, Argentina
Laithwaite’s Wine Buyer Beth Willard commented on the results of the study:
We’ve noticed a slight shift in the nation’s palate over the last few years to wines made from lesser known varieties and from less mainstream regions.
We are actually a nation of wine connoisseurs, with our own unique tastes and preferences.