We have put our heads together and come up with some fascinating wine facts which are sure to impress and will get the conversation flowing. So the next time you’re at a dinner party or just getting together with your friends why not try out some of these;
- Wine was discovered about 6,000 years ago. It originally fermented by accident when native yeasts stuck to grapes stored in containers turned sugars in the grapes into alcohol.
- There are approximately 10,000 different varieties of wine grapes around the world.
- In California, wine country tours are second only to Disneyland in popularity with tourists. More than 14 million people visit the California wine regions each year.
- You should examine the cork and not smell it. You should check to see if the cork is in one piece, a fragmented or mouldy cork might mean an issue with the wine.
- In Japan there is a spa where you can swim in tea, coffee, and wine.
- Unlike Champagne and Cava, secondary fermentation for Prosecco (the part that makes the bubbles) takes place in a tank rather than bottle. Winemakers can control the strength of the bubbles. So you can have frizzante (lightly sparkling) or Spumante (full on fizz).
- The oldest preserved bottle of wine is nearly 1700 years old, it’s on display in a German museum.
- Amazingly, there are people in the world who hate wine and there’s even a name for it, it’s called “oenophobia”.
We want to know if you have any wine facts which can beat the ones above.